Someone in a Dog park in Mesa, AZ is poisoning dogs. So far there were 10 suspected cases and at least two deaths. There is a small reward leading to the person leaving strychnine-laced hamburger at the popular dog park.
One dog, a German shepherd mix died within 15 minutes of returning from the park. the dog owner went back to the ark where she found some of the tainted meat.
According to the Arizona Republic:
“Mesa Animal Control has opened an investigation, but recent budget cuts may hurt the investigation, said Chad Willis, an officer with Mesa Animal Control. The city recently slashed its animal control officers from seven to two.”
Let’s pray that the person responsible is found soon, is prosecuted and thrown in jail.
In light of this, be sure to walk the perimeter of your dog park before allowing your dog to run free.
Recently I saw an article on People magazine and it featured Sandy Paws Grooming Shop and their award winning creative dog grooming. At first I thought, “what a crazy business” but then I decided to investigate…
I found Sandy Paw’s website and read about the products they use, and I also contacted Sandy the owner and asked a few questions about the process behind the creative grooming. As you can see Cindy, Sandy’s poodle, gets groomed and shaved in some extreme shapes like a chicken, a shark, a peacock a dragon and many other shapes.
Photo courtesy of Sandy Paws Pet Grooming Shop
Sandy assured me that she uses only dog safe products and that most time the products are on Cindy for the duration of the competition, or around 2 hours. Cindy is shaved as soon as the competition is over and she enjoys the attention and poses for the pictures.
I found Sandy to be a loving pet owner with an extraordinary talent. She told me she receives some hate mail and some people don’t understand the art. As an artist I appreciate the beauty and craft, as a pet owner I feel the need to educate people on the importance of using safe and harmless products. Before using any dye on your dog or cat, be sure to read all accompanying material and follow instructions carefully. If it is not safe foe your or your children, it won’t be safe on your dog or cat.
Pet Edge offers a dye made especially for dogs and cats:
“Top Performance Hair Dye Gels – The hottest new trend in pet grooming! Seven bright, fun colored gels to choose from. Completely non-toxic. Semi-permanent. Coloring results may vary with coat type and breed.”
For more information on Creative Pet Grooming visit Sandy’s site Sandy Paws Grooming Shop. They are located in Yucca Valley, California.
Very sad news for Martha Stewart, her beloved Ghenghis Khan was killed during a fire at the kennel where he was boarding. Apparently there was a a propane explosion and he was amongst the 16 dogs that perished. 14 dogs did survive, although some with serious burns.
Sadly many of the dog’s owners were traveling on vacation and will receive very bad news when they return and check on their animals. The kennel’s records were destroyed on the fire, so some of the dogs will only be reunited with their families when the family goes to pick them up.
The fire not only hurt animals, but it also badly hurt the truck driver who managed to first toss a cairn terrier named Chilli over the fence to safety before getting himself out of harm’s way.
Very sad indeed. We wish the injured dogs a speedy recovery and send our heartfelt love to the owner of the dogs that perished.